Sleeping when you have anxiety is often difficult. Constant worrying and thinking can impact all aspects of your life and sleeping habits. If you suffer from this condition, you should not worry as you can still take a quality nap despite your illness with these tips:
You should find time to jog and lift weights even if you have a 9-5 job. Exercising can help you beat anxiety and fall asleep properly. The University of Georgia stated that people could snooze better after working out.
You must visit the gym to work out no matter how busy you are. Some of the fitness programs you can try to improve the quality of your slumber, are yoga, Pilates, and more. Can’t hit the fitness center because of your schedule? Perform these physical activities at home.
Tip: Avoid working out three hours before your bedtime to prevent suffering from post-workout insomnia.
Eat Healthy Food
If you follow a healthy diet plan, you can avoid spending a night tossing and turning in your bedroom. Eat food that can help you sleep better like pumpkin and kale. These vegetables are rich in magnesium and melatonin, which can relax muscles. What’s more, they have serotonin, hormones which can regulate the sleep cycle.
Eating healthy meals and avoiding processed and fatty foods can prevent illnesses that can disrupt a proper sleep schedule, too.
Avoid Drinking Alcohol and Coffee
Alcohol can’t give the quality slumber you deserve. These beverages have ingredients that can affect the circadian rhythm and the body’s chemicals production. Vodka and whiskey as it can interfere with your slumber in many ways, indeed.
Caffeinated beverages like a coffee can stimulate you after taking your first sip. You must drink this beverage if you need energy; however, when you’re aiming for better sleep, you must limit your caffeine intake as it can make you nervous, affecting your heart rate and slumber.
Invest in Quality Mattresses
You need quality and a comfortable mattress to sleep correctly. Most mattresses have vented systems and fabrics that allow air to circulate freely, which can give you a relaxing snooze.
Just consider these tips before purchasing bedding:
- Determine Your Needs – Identify your preferences first. What do you need? How do you sleep? Mattresses come in all kinds of comfort ranging from firm to plush. Since you have many options, you must decide beforehand to purchase quickly and the right product.
- Mind Your Budget – The rule of thumb when purchasing anything, including bedding is to not spend beyond your means. You don’t want to buy a mattress that hurts your pocket. Browse the company’s website to learn the rates of their products and not overspend.
- Test the Bed – Turn and toss on the bed you want. While you are it, listen for any grinding metal and spring noise. If you hear any sound, this means the bed’s foundation is not stable.
Achieve a restful sleep despite your mental illness by following the tips above!
Latest posts by Joyce Raymundo (see all)
- Tips to Sleep Better If You Suffer From Anxiety - December 3, 2018
- Benefits of Sleeping Naked You Didn’t Probably Know - November 5, 2018