You’ve certainly heard this from your mom. Maybe you’ve already read this somewhere. Health practitioners have said this repeatedly. If you want to live a healthier life, then you should clock in about seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
Many studies have already revealed a strong connection between quality sleep and its impact on cognitive function, immunity, metabolism, and much more. So it’s no wonder why numerous apps have sprung out of the digital woodwork that aim to help you relax, fall asleep quicker, and wake up feeling rejuvenated.
Although it’s been said that using electronic devices like laptops, smartphones, and tablets can reduce your chances of getting a restful night’s sleep, many apps may also do wonders for you. These apps can track how many hours of sleep you’ve had, tell you what time you should go to bed and wake up, and even generate a variety of sounds to make you fall asleep.
So, to help you relax, sleep faster, and wake up feeling refreshed, here are 54 apps you should check out. Take note that most of these apps are free to download and some you need to buy. Also, they are mostly available for download in both iOS and Android devices.
1. Ambiance. This app provides more than 3,500 free sounds that can create the perfect mood to help you relax and focus.
2. Sleep Cycle. This app works as an alarm clock that tracks your sleep patterns and wakes you up during the light sleep stage.
3. Sleepio. This app claims to help you sleep faster, stay asleep longer, and make you feel refreshed during the day.
4. Sleep Genius. This app is smart enough to figure out the best time for you to sleep, wake you up with soothing sounds, and help you reduce stress and anxiety.
5. Sleepy Time. If you love data, this app can produce a user-friendly chart that shows your sleep patterns and movements throughout the night.
6. Simply Being. Developed by Richard and Mary Maddux of the Meditation Oasis podcast, this app will help you relieve stress and enjoy deep relaxation.
7. Yoga for Insomnia. This app is like your personal yoga trainer. It will teach you a series of yoga poses that can reduce sleeplessness.
8. Universal Breathing – Pranayama. If you’re feeling stressed, then use this app. It features a yoga course that claims to help you find balance and relieve stress.
9. Sleepmaker Rain. As the name suggests, this app plays looped audio recordings of rain that will help you relax and fall asleep at night.
10. Sleep Pillow Sounds. Use this app to play high-quality ambient sounds that were recorded and enhanced to make you feel relaxed and fall asleep.
11. Pzizz. This app produces more than 100 unique music and sound effects that will help quiet your mind and lull you into a relaxed state.
12. Relax And Sleep Well By Glenn Harrold. This app features a 27-minute hypnotherapy session by self-help author Glenn Harrold that will help you relieve stress and feel relaxed.
13. Relax Melodies. This app promises to put you to sleep in 20 minutes or less by playing soothing sounds and melodies, which you can also combine into a playlist.
14. Spin Me Alarm Clock. This app will force you to wake up by making you stand up and spin your way out of bed as the alarm goes off.
15. Alarm Tunes. If you’re a music lover, then you will enjoy this app. It can help you fall asleep, wake you up, and tell the time with music.
16. Power Nap. This app will encourage you to take power naps like Salvador Dali. Taking power naps can give you more energy and increase your productivity.
17. Sunriser. If you want to be an early riser, then this app will make sure you do. It is designed to help you become more productive just like the world’s most successful entrepreneurs.
18. Awoken — Lucid Dreaming Tool. This app was designed by developer Andreas Rudolph. It is a handy tool that wants you to learn and master lucid dreaming.
19. Nature Sounds Relax and Sleep. This app features different nature sounds like ocean sounds, bird sounds, rain, and such to help improve the quality of your sleep.
20. Sleep as Android. Brought to you by the Urbandroid team, this app has a smart alarm clock with sleep cycle tracking and can wake you up gently with gentle nature sounds.
21. Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson. Andrew Johnson is the director of a UK training company. As part of his self-help applications, Deep Sleep promotes healthy sleep and well-being.
22. DigiPill. This app is like a digital drugstore that dispenses audio “pills,” which promise to help cure your real life issues such as smoking, lack of confidence, and sleep problems.
23. aSleep 3. With this app, you can choose from more than 60 high-quality nature sounds and soothing melodies that will help you fall asleep.
24. Lucid Dreamer. You can use this app to record your dreams using a voice recorder and keep it in a free and secure Dream Journal.
25. Long Deep Breathing. Keep calm and take deep breaths with this app. It will teach you how to balance your emotions and harmonize your mind, body and spirit.
26. Proactive Sleep Alarm Clock. Developed by Ph.D. student in Applied Psychology Daniel Gartenberg, this app will provide information about how much sleep you need.
27. Relax Melodies: Oriental Meditation. This app features more than 30 high-quality ambient sounds that will help you relax and achieve a state of deep sleep.
28. SleepStream 2 Pro. It claims to be an advanced sleep-inducing and relaxation app that features a rich selection of calming sounds, meditation sessions, and brainwave programs, among others.
29. Relax & Rest Guided Meditations. You can enjoy a deep state of relaxation without any experience in meditation with this app developed by nature recordist Gordon Hempton.
30. MyMoodTracker. This app can track your mood and emotional state throughout the day and helps you understand what causes your emotions to change.
31. Power Sleep & Nap. This app uses special frequencies that travel to your brain so you can sleep well.
32. Relax Melodies: Sleep & Yoga. With this app, you can create a personal playlist of music melodies and high-quality white noise sounds to help you fall into a relaxed state.
33. Calm – Meditate, Sleep, Relax. With this app, you can use meditation to improve your mood and help you to relax, focus, and sleep.
34. Sleep Better with Runtastic. This app helps you track your sleep, monitor your dreams, and enhance your bedtime habits.
35. Twilight. Use this app to filter your screen and reduce the blue light that shines in your mobile device so you can avoid your circadian rhythm from getting disrupted.
36. Rain Sounds Relax & Sleep. This app features ten relaxing sounds of rain, wind, and thunder to help you sleep.
37. Sleep Ambience. You can use this white noise app to customize your background sounds while you relax or go to sleep.
38. Muji To Sleep. This app boasts recorded sounds of nature from various regions of Japan. Muji is also selling a neck pillow that you can carry with you anywhere.
39. Sleepyti.me. This app is designed to wake you up in-between sleep cycles and help you start the day with a clear head.
40. Up By Jawbone. If you’re looking for a digital fitness coach, then this app is for you. It can give you a deeper understanding of your diet, sleep, and daily activities.
41. HappyWakeUp. Say goodbye to feeling groggy in the morning thanks to this app. It monitors your sleep and help you learn about your natural sleep cycles.
42. Power Nap App. This app features a power nap timer up to 30 minutes and a list of relaxing sounds and pleasant alarm sounds.
43. White Noise. You can listen to relaxing sounds like pouring rain and crashing waves on a beach to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
44. Smart Alarm Clock. This alarm app will go off when you’re in the lightest sleep phase so you won’t wake up feeling groggy in the morning.
45. To Bed. This app will remind you of what time you should go to bed based on your age and wake up times.
46. SleepBot. This app works as a smart alarm, a motion tracker, and a sound recorder. I’ve personally used this app and reviewed it in a previous blog post.
47. Beddit. Each morning, this app will judge how well you’ve slept by giving you a quality score from 0 to 100. If you reach the green zone, it means you had a good night’s sleep.
48. MotionX 24/7. This app can measure and correlate resting heart rate, and includes an advanced sleep cycle monitor using smart alarms.
49. WakeApp Pro. By using this app, you will wake up feeling refreshed and learn about your sleep habits.
50. Naturespace. This app will help you get attuned to nature with its high-quality recordings of nature sounds.
51. Withings Health Mate. Use this app to track your steps, heart rate, weight, sleep, and activity so you can improve your overall health.
52. Sleep Machine. This app offers a wide selection of professionally mastered ambient sounds designed to help you achieve a deeply relaxed state and improve the quality of sleep.
53. Absalt EasyWakeup Classic. This app uses a smart algorithm to figure out the best time for you to wake up and uses gentle melodic sounds.
54. Count Sheep HD. This app will literally help anyone, young or old, to count sheep so they can fall asleep. It uses night-time friendly graphics with smooth animation.
Back to you
Have you tried one of these apps? Which app did you find interesting and why? Do you think these apps can really make a positive impact on your overall health? Let me know in the comment section.
Latest posts by Jayson Guerrero (see all)
- Christmas Is Lonely When You Don’t Know How To Cope - December 22, 2015
- 25 Best Christmas Gift Ideas Your Parents Will Love (Infographic) - December 17, 2015
- How To Get Huge Savings When You Shop For The Holidays - December 15, 2015