Summer is about to end. But the heat is still on, and some people with sleep problems still struggle to put themselves to sleep and remain in this state for the ideal duration.
Why not solve these two problems by making one refreshing and sleep-inducing sleep?
The following are some tasty smoothies formulated by qualified health professionals that can help you get quality slumber. You can enjoy drinking them by just put them into your blender and blend it until you get the consistency you want.
Healthy smoothie by sports nutrition specialist Scott Baptie
1 kiwi fruit
A handful of kale
400 ml milk
1 tbsp honey
Sleep Slim Smoothie by the Sleep Doctor Dr. Michael Breus, PhD
1 cup tart cherry juice
1/2 cup soy milk (can be replaced with 4-6 oz soy yogurt)
5 ice cubes
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
Better sleep evening smoothie
1 ripe banana
1 cup kale leaves
1 cup natural yogurt
1 tbsp raw almond butter
2 kiwi fruits
2 tsp flax seeds, ground
1/2 cup almond milk
Sweet dreams smoothie
1/2 fresh medium banana
1/2 cup pitted cherries
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1/2 tablespoon cacao powder
1/4 cup almonds
The smoothies above are high in tryptophan, omega-3, protein, and other nutrients that promote sleep. Here are some of the ingredients and how they contribute in shutting your eyes during bedtime:
- Banana has tryptophan which the body converts into sleep-inducing hormones
- Kiwi contains vitamin C that boosts your falling asleep as well as sleep duration and quality.
- Tart cherry juice is one of the super foods packed with nutrients, one of which is proanthocyanidin, the ruby red pigment of the fruit that has an enzyme allows tryptophan to work its magic in your body longer.
- Kale has a high calcium content that aids the brain to process tryptophan more efficiently.
- Milk is high in casein that contributes your body recuperate from exercise during sleep.
- Avocado has high magnesium that helps to soothe your nerves and fall asleep.
- Chamomile tea can calm down your nerves, which is a delicious drink to enjoy before bedtime or can be used as the liquid base in a night smoothie.
- Celery is known to be one of the most potent natural tranquilizers. It is a superb tonic to relax one’s tensed nerves, which is excellent for insomniacs. You may also add the leaves from this plant as they are its most nutritious part.
- Honey can initiate a body mechanism that can lead to the entrance of tryptophan into the brain.
- Flax seeds have a high dosage of omega-3 essential fatty acid that lowers anxiety and stress (two of the top insomnia causes) and also tryptophan.
- Almond milk has an enormous amount of magnesium that soothes your muscles and protein that help your body shift from alert-adrenaline cycle to rest-and-digest cycle for better slumber.
Sleep can be elusive this scorching-hot summer. Drinking a cold and thirst-quenching smoothie can relieve the heat and put you asleep.